Sunday, August 24, 2008

Running down your carbon footprint...

The WSJ features a new breed of people beating high gas prices by running to work. Now that's dedication to either being carbon free, or dedication to their sport. (More the latter) It's pretty impressive the runs that people do to get to work, including a 23 mile run by Alan Geraldi. Now, running might not be cheaper than driving as MIke O'Melia discovers that you get hungry and drink and eat a lot more.

My favorite part of the story is this illustration of Mr. Geraldi's run and his sweat index.



I can completely relate, somedays I will get in a run before work since I my employer is next to some public land and even though I take a shower, I'm still running warm and sweating and my co-workers will go "did you just run here?" Well me, no but others maybe.

In addition to the benefits for reducing our carbon footprint, encouraging active forms of transportation to work improves the help of our workforce reducing the health insurance costs. People don't have to run, even walking to and from mass transit makes a difference.

That said, I'm right now investigating another form of human transportation and I am not kidding about this, I'm thinking of getting a skateboard. Anyone pick up a skateboard late in life and use it to move between mass transit? If so, leave me a comment sharing your experiences. If I do this, you'll be sure that I blog about it.

2 Comments:

At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, razor scooter.

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Alan said...

Skateboard? All the power to you - I'd be afraid of crashing or screwing up my knees in a fall. Plus, since a lot of my commute into the office was not on pavement, the board wouldn't work - but best of luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home