Thursday, April 12, 2007

Really, this came after the other posts!

I just got some of my regular book spam from Borders, when a remembrance of Kurt Vonnegut was published, and I kid you not, this is the lead paragraph"

"I'm Jeremiah and I'm not talking about God being mad at us," novelist Kurt Vonnegut says with a straight face, gazing out the windows of the parlor of his Manhattan brownstone. "I'm talking about us killing the planet as a life support system with gasoline. What's going to happen is, very soon, we're going to run out of petroleum, and everything depends on petroleum. And there goes the school buses. There goes the fire engines. The food trucks will come to a halt. This is the end of the world. We've become far too dependent on hydrocarbons, and it's going to suddenly dry up. You talk about the gluttonous Roaring Twenties. That was nothing. We're crazy, going crazy, about petroleum. It's a drug like crack cocaine. Of course the lunatic fringe of Christianity is welcoming the end of the world as the rapture. So I'm Jeremiah. It's going to have to stop. I'm sorry."

KV wrote three columns every week for the old CDS, I could barely manage one every two!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home