Monday, December 17, 2007

A slightly new direction....

If you could see me right now, I'm looking between two computer screens trying to figure out where to take this blog. I started out this blog when I had a car accident and embarked on an experiment leading a carfree life. At that time, the blog was called, "Car(e)free in California" to capture the carefree nature of being carfree. Of course that was wishful thinking. Since sadly in California being carfree it is very difficult to be carefree since most everything needs a car to get to. Even things like going to the mall. I did find out that my lifestyle of living close to work, did make my work experience plausible, what it did not do was make my social life possible and I capitulated and bought a car. I can say that after 15 months of car ownership, I have yet to hit 12,000 miles of driving way below the average. But still driving.

I ended up morphing the blog into "Car(bon)free in California" to explore climate change and reducing one's carbon impact. And this is where we are today. I keep an electronic notepad with story ideas. And I have a lot about driving and alternatives, but also visible is a theme on the relationship between financial insecurity and carbon footprint.

It's been an observation that those who live the most extravagant lives, also live lives of debt and financial worry. Think about all the expensive sports cars and SUVs and the financing required for that. Or all the McMansions that have endless amounts of square footage making people worry about not only their mortgage payments but how they are going to afford their utility bills.

In the short term, I'll be changing the focus of the blog in subtle ways, exploring the personal financial impact of a carbon footprint. I have a lot of posts about carbon free living, and will continue to scour the web for articles relating to climate change. If you think about it. The rest of the world aspires to our lifestyle, and that is a consumer lifestyle.

Does living carbonfree mean living more free, free of worry, free of fear, free of stress? Let's explore....

1 Comments:

At 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: in California being carfree it is very difficult to be carefree since most everything needs a car to get to...

I respectfully beg to differ. ;-D

I have never owned a car in my life, and I'm 47 and a Bachelor.

I've used my bike, my own 2 feet, or Mass Transit to go everywhere I need, or want to go, and do what I want to do.

Pssst.... Don't tell anyone, but I'm also a Conservative, not a Liberal, hee, hee. ;-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home