Saturday, November 29, 2008

A moment of solitude....

This has been a really odd extended weekend. It's been delightful in that I've had the opportunity to spend some wonderful time with some great friends (and eat myself silly, but we won't go into that). I successfully did some chores, prepped for the upcoming holiday season and all it's attendant obligations and commitments. That of course will be an ongoing task. I've also reflected on how our lives during this season is a flutter, as we bolt from one place to another. It was nice to be able to take some time out and relax. I spent Friday participating in buy nothing day. And successfully accomplished that.

I also reflected on the tragedy that occurred in New York, when a temporary worker was trampled to death at a Wal-mart as shoppers pursued black friday madness. Human beings are strange creatures, but we are creatures nonetheless. When imperiled we too will act like wilderbeasts escaping predators. And obviously some sense of peril, or want, or lack permeated the crowd that they would not get theirs. But instead of something life sustaining, it was the pursuit of life draining machines. On a more somber note, I also realize that in these festive times, feelings of loneliness start to creep out. It is interesting how difficult it is to be alone and not feel lonely for many. But in both ways, the pursuit of a TV and the pursuit of a partner tap into those basic needs.

So much of our consumption, and our way of life taps into those needs. Somewhere in our industrialized existence, we started identifying with stuff to complete us or fill our time, or that's what I suspect. This week, I visited many friends who have wonderful places, large for themselves and it made me think. How much is too much. This isn't to knock their lifestyle, but it made me think how do we form our norms.

If our norms are stuff, and our worth is stuff. Then the tragedy of the weekend makes sense. If our norms are something else, then what happened this weekend is an aberration. Our planet may not need our science, it may need our psychotherapy.

Why do you think shopping for non-essentials causes a frezny?

1 Comments:

At 8:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you're very happy at Facebook, I'm very excited for you and am glad that the passion is back for you in the job. It's a wonderful thing and I'm glad you having it =) Love always.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home