Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Smaller Margins Save the Earth....

No this isn't a blog post about smaller margins in selling, but smaller margins in printing saving paper. Economics blogger Marginal Revolution talks about writer Tamara Krinsky's movement to save paper by reducing the standard margins in Microsoft Word will save 5.4 million tons of office paper. She's kicked off a petition at http://www.changethemargins.com to ask Microsoft to change the default margins. A clear case where a small change can make a difference.

An alternative to printing is to create a PDF and read it on the screen if your screen quality permits it. Apple's Macintosh OS X supports printing PDFs as standard. Primo PDF is a solution for Windows users that is free for non-commercial use. I have mixed feelings about everything being digital. The printed paper is it's own reader, and I have old floppy disks from my Apple ][ days (yes I am that OLD) that I can no longer read. But I do endorse printing fewer things, especially those things that are not necessary.

So make sure you don't live in the margins, make yours smaller.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM , Blogger ruchi said...

I try to read most everything online at my job, but it's hard because you can't take notes on a screen! So I think adjusting margins is a great idea.

 
At 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often waste a lot of time re-adjusting fonts so a 1&1/2 page of text can fit to 1 page. Talk about productivity lost. I think that is a great idea - most likely people will not even notice it.

I also have two small kids that doodle constantly. So I get to use the back of the printed pages for their "artwork".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home