Saturday, June 07, 2008

We do stupid stuff......

It's Saturday night, and instead of being out with friends I'm resting after attending today's Green Fair Silicon Valley. The exercise I got riding to the fair was probably more green than what was there. It was basically a big sales show, and while there were legitimate green products there, I also got the sense there was a lot of greenwashing going on as well. Once you left the show floor and attended some of the seminars, there seemed to be a little more substance. Will Durst was pretty funny, and there was a lot of straight talk that reveals that the left is the most dysfunctional family around. But hey, it's our dysfunctional family.

There was one particularly depressing event that happened. At one of the booths at the show, a purveyor of bottled water was waxing how it was ok to buy their product even though it was shipped from the south pacific because they bought carbon offsets. Never mind that the water we have locally is just as good. What was really sad was the guy at the booth was trying to explain how they bought these credits and it meant they had negative carbon impact on the earth. It was painfully clear that he had no idea what he was talking about. He was trying to remember a script without understanding it. My friend who was with me was short of abusing him, and I had to remind my friend that it wasn't this guy's fault that his company was missing the larger point.

I have no idea what the guy pitching free bottles of water was thinking, but it was probably along the lines that it sucks to be working on a Saturday, he's going carbon whatevers, I don't care, I just want to get paid. So many of our jobs are just doing what the man wants, and the man says you know I can convince people that my water is better because it comes from farther away. What kills me is that the water was being featured in one of the poster childs of the green movement. Think bags.

We do so much stupid stuff.

1 Comments:

At 2:00 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

I was going to try to make it but ran out of time...now I don't feel so sorry! one of the things that I really liked about the earth day celebration here is that they were touting how drinking tap water was a good thing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home