Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Irony.

This past weekend I wasn't very carbon friendly in that I ended up flying to Colorado to visit my folks. The dirty carbon secret of my life is I am a travel addict. I love visiting new places, eating new foods and meeting adventurous people. Horrors of horrors, I really enjoy flying (though to be honest, flying commercial these days makes me nervous since the pressures are so much to cut costs that I worry about airlines cutting the muscle not just the fat). I love looking into the clouds, seeing the map of the world unfurl itself as my imagination wonders what's happening below. It's just so amazing. I've been trying to cut down, last year was the first time in 10 years I didn't make elite status on any airline.

As another complete aside, there is one thing about flying that always puzzles me, the instant I get on a plane I get all sleepy for the first 10 - 15 minutes, I don't just get sleepy, I get narcoleptic and pass out and wake up about 10 minutes later. I try to stay up for take off, and if available listen to the cockpit chatter. But right after we're off the ground. Bonk, I'm out. Anyone else feel that way when they fly?

But I'm not here to write about my flying addiction, what I am writing about is my surprise in reading in United's In-Flight Magazine a great article about cool new green technologies for automobiles. It includes mentions of a company Flex-Fuel US that is offering conversion kits to run on E85 instead of gasoline. Or check this out, Coskata a company that makes ethanol from non-food crops. It of course mentions Tesla Motors

It's a really informative survey of gasoline alternative automobiles, and I discovered it while on one of the most carbon inconvenient forms of transportation. Go figure.

5 Comments:

At 12:04 PM , Blogger ruchi said...

I love flying as well. I am trying to cut back a little as well, and I have, but I still fly a LOT.

So I am always looking for the next cool technology because I am convinced we will develop the tech to fly oil-free emission-free planes. Unlike with cars which have no real incentive to strive for gas-free cars, the airlines themselves have an incentive to start looking for oil-alternatives now because they themselves have to pay the cost of fuel.

Did you see the thing about the Swiss plane that is flying on solar cells?

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Charles said...

A solar powered plane, I've seen pics but nothing of a commercial nature. They had the bicycle powered plane that crossed the english channel, but I don't think I have the legs.

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger Dianna said...

well, way to let me know you were in town! i'd have bought you coffee. :P

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Charles said...

not sure I would have had time for coffee, but you could have run the Bolder Boulder with me! :P

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Dianna said...

riiiight. well, i could have handed you a water bottle. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home