Sunday, November 18, 2007

Like I was saying....

A few days ago, I had a post about reasonable discussion and identifying what facts would change your mind.

I'll close on when to debate...For those adherents to any position, including our own. The question to ask, what facts or events would lead to a change in one's position. If the person cannot respond with a reasonable response, then you cannot discuss meaningfully with that person. Those people have ideologies, and you can't change their mind. To quote (though attribution is dubious) John Maynard Keynes "“When the facts change, I change my mind – what do you do, sir?”"

Imagine how depressed I was to read the NY Times dotearth blog post titled ‘Dangerous’ Warming Still Undefinable to White House and realize that any progress is futile. I hate to get political on this blog, but this current administration has always started with the end in mind, and ignored the facts. I welcome a difference in opinions, but only if it's possible for one to change one's mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home