Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Stalemate....

I've been consolidating and trying to simplify my life. One of the actions has been dealing with my vast CD collection that I no longer listen to. I have put a lot of my CDs into digital form on my Powerbook, to the detriment of my hard drive storage. But there are a lot of CDs I just don't listen to that often, and those CDs have been sitting under my coffee table for the past couple of months. Not sure what to do with them, since some of the CDs were experimental in that I bought them on a whim to check them out and not all the experiments were successful and remain generally unloved and unsaleable.

I do think the digital world is making the world more green in that it reduces the impact of "experiments" like mine. It reduces the cost of production and distribution. It reduces the chance that things will end up in landfill when people are bored of them or never liked them. This is a good thing. What is bad is in the meantime how do artists make a living, they get the distribution but will people pay. Ringtones yes, but music not so sure?

Those are bigger questions than I can answer. As for the simpler issue, what do I do with the old box of music CDs sitting in the middle of my living room? So what do I do? They won't disappear and I won't throw them away without a shot at second life.

5 Comments:

At 9:13 AM , Blogger ruchi said...

Frecycle them. Or, next time you're in the city, try selling them at Amoeba Records.

 
At 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of Freecycle your CDs. I, being a total dinosaur, would be happy to take the right CDs. I listen to them in the car, especially on longer road trips. Still at some point in the fairly near future, all CDs and DVDs will be obsolete. It would be really cool if can figure out a creative way of reusing millions of unwanted CDs. Now I am going to sit at a corner and channel an inventor...

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Green Bean said...

I'm with the other gals. Freecycle away! Like my fellow Bay Area blogging mom, I too am a dinosaur and still listen to CDs. :)

 
At 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
LetsGoGreen.biz is an online company selling eco-friendly products to the homeowner. We have the products that let you "go green" at home. We have a full line of home water conservation items. Please let your members know about us. You can checkout our site at www.LetsGoGreen.biz A link would be great. I would also like to speak to you about our fundraising program. You send folks to our site, they purchase products and you receive 25% of the sale. Hands off with zero cost to you. A great way to promote green products while you raise money for your site or organization. Full details are on our site under Green Fundraising.

We want to encourage everyone to "go green". If you don't do fundraising we would like to offer your members a special discount on our products. At checkout, type the word FRIEND into the coupon box, hit apply and it will take 25% off of your order. Please pass this special discount word to your members. It cannot be combined with any other offer or in support of a fundraising group.

Go Green in 2008!

Kyle Jodice
CEO

Kyle.Jodice@LetsGoGreen.biz
www.LetsGoGreen.biz

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger Chile said...

We have a used bookstore in our area that gives us trade for books, CDs, videos, and sometimes other things like kitchen stuff and art. We turn around and spend the credit on new (used) stuff there. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home