Monday, September 11, 2006

"Today is all there is..."

I have a lot to write about, about my weekend rental of a car, which my friend told me made me "drunk with mobility", my capitulation on two fronts of my car acquisition. And the fact that I am still able to be carless when I need to be and more importantly want to be. Plus more and more stats. But that will all have to wait. Instead, I'd like to take a moment to reflect, less articulate but hopefully more heartfelt....

----

Today is the fifth anniversary of September 11th, 2001. A day, where our generation's innocence was lost. Yesterday was the 37th anniversary of me. I normally don't publicize that day, in fact I've actively hidden it, I've have always considered it to be self centered way of drawing your attention to yourself so I've almost never told anyone about it. I have friends who have actually thought it was on a different day, and I have never bothered to correct them about it.

Since 9-11, my birthday has been an easy one to remember. Some call it the last day of innocence, others simply call it the day before. Yesterday, was an effort in reclamation, it was simply a wonderful day. If you read my blog, you know that I am a sucker for novelty. I am perpetually pushing myself and others to innovate, to be creative. To try to go off the edge. As part of that fun, last year I held a reverse surprise party where I invited my friends, and then told them it was a birthday party surprising them. You can only do that once.

Yesterday, I held another party, with a theme of food and implicitly friends. Again no mention of my birthday, but I didn't completely shirk from it when it was brought up. We all gathered in my apartment and the patio and feasted. But the goal was the same for me, to honor those who matter to me. I didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked, but I was glad that I saw many of them, for first time in over a year in some cases. Thank you.

So today, I hope you took a moment to remember not only those who passed, but those who are still walking side by side with us and say thank you. Joan Didion once said that she believed in using the good silver because today is all there is. Remember to bring out the good silver more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home