Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mind Boggling Numbers.

Artist Chris Jordan has done an incredible job helping us visualize the amount of consumption in the United States in an exhibit called "Running the Numbers: An American Self-Portrait". Using a pointilist motif (one of the images is an homage to Seraut) Jordan effectively illustrates the amount of consumption that goes on. It's to be honest, mind boggling. What is more distressing is that each image illustrates a different time scale, when you read the fine print, it's even more amazing.

One of the images that hit more close to home is that of paper bags and plastic bags. I've really tried to limit my bag usage and I'll blog about that more later. When you go shopping, it's amazing the number of bags you acquire throughout the day. Everytime I ask not to have a bag, I get a blank stare.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home