Thursday, August 31, 2006

Stairway to Heavy-n.....

I've been talking about living car free, but one thing that I started doing when I went car free, was that I started going mostly elevator free at work. My office is on the fourth floor, and the rest of our company is on the third. I decided that as part of my fitness regimen that I would start walking up the stairs. Now it's a habit and I have a hard time waiting for the elevator at work, I normally bee line for the stairs, much to the consternation of my co-workers when we head out to lunch. As a bonus, I've probably helped built up some calves, and it's hard to say what is what in my improving stamina, but it's not that big a deal.

So thinking aloud, environmentally, it's using less energy. During our heat wave we had the threat of rolling blackouts. I wonder how much energy we would save if except for the handicapped and for delivery carts, everyone had to use the stairs.

So much of our lives and energy consumption center around "labor" saving devices, but are they really just a way for us to be on the way a "Stairway to Heavy'n"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home